Washington is filled with amazing sites and history. You will definitely want to come back and visit again. The city is constantly buzzing with new things to do, especially in the summer. Here are some places that you must visit when in our nation’s capital!
- The United States Capitol building is located in the center of Washington DC. This is where Congress meets and is considered one of the most important buildings in our country. The Capitol building is free to enter and offers tours daily.
- The White House is the home of the President of the United States and is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Washington DC. Tours of the White House are available but need to be requested through your Congressional representative.
- The Lincoln Memorial is a monument dedicated to Abraham Lincoln, our 16th President. The memorial is located on the National Mall and is free to enter.
- The Washington Monument is a 555-foot tall obelisk located on the National Mall. It is the tallest stone structure in the world and commemorates George Washington, our first President. The Washington Monument is free to enter, but you need to get a ticket in advance as there is a limited number of visitors allowed per day.
- The Vietnam Veterans Memorial is a beautiful memorial dedicated to the soldiers who fought in the Vietnam War. It is located on the National Mall and is free to enter.
- The Korean War Veterans Memorial is a memorial dedicated to the soldiers who fought in the Korean War. It is located on the National Mall and is free to enter.
- The Smithsonian Institution is a group of museums located in Washington DC. These museums are some of the most popular in the world and include the Air and Space Museum, the American History Museum, and the Natural History Museum. Admission to all of the Smithsonian museums is free.
- The National Zoo is located in Washington DC and is home to over 2,000 animals. The zoo is free to enter, but there is a charge for some of the special exhibits.
These are just a few of the many amazing sites to see in Washington DC. So come and visit our nation’s capital and explore all of it. Here are other places that you can explore in Rock Creek Park:
- The Tidal Basin is a man-made reservoir that is located in Washington DC. It is a popular spot for tourists to visit during cherry blossom season.
- The United States Botanic Garden is located in Washington DC and is free to enter. The garden has over 2,000 different species of plants.
If you could use an easy workout, jogging on the National Mall is a perfect option with so many monuments and great views. You can also do some kayaking on the Potomac River or even go for a bike ride.
If you’d like to spend some time outside of Washington DC, consider visiting one of the nearby cities such as Alexandria, Virginia, or Baltimore, Maryland. Both of these cities offer a variety of historical and cultural attractions.
Before we go, we leave you with the most important steps when planning a trip to Washington DC:
– Choose the time of year you would like to visit. Spring and autumn are generally the best times weather-wise. That said, cherry blossom season (late March to early April) and summer (June to August) are also popular times to visit. If you decide to come during one of these peak seasons, book your accommodation and tickets well in advance.
– Decide what type of attractions you would like to see. Washington DC has a little bit of everything, from historical sites to museums to outdoor activities.
– Decide on the length of your trip. Washington DC can easily be explored in a long weekend, but if you have more time, there is plenty to see and do.
– Choose a hotel or vacation rental that is centrally located. This will make getting around the city much easier. There are plenty of great options to choose from, no matter your budget. For instance, the Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/Georgetown University Medical Center is a great option if you’re looking for something centrally located and budget-friendly. For something more upscale, the Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC, is a great choice.
– Book a Washington DC limo service to make getting around the city even easier. This way, you can sit back and relax as you take in the sights. Your assigned chauffeur will be happy to help you with anything you need and can give you insider tips on the best places to visit. He can also tell you where to spend a night in the town or where to find the best restaurants.
– Purchase a Washington DC tourist pass to save money on attractions.
– Research places to eat in advance. There are so many great restaurants in Washington DC, from casual cafes to fine dining. For instance, if you’re looking for a casual spot for lunch, try the Parthenon Gyro. For something more formal, reserve a table at Fiola Mare.
– And finally, don’t forget to have fun! Washington DC is a great place to visit, and there is something for everyone. Just be sure to do your research in advance so that you can make the most of your trip.
Now that you know a little bit more about Washington DC, we hope you’ll come and visit us soon! Our nation’s capital has so much to offer, and we know you’ll enjoy your time here. Thanks for reading!